Monday, May 17, 2010

Are you a Slave to Your Smart Phone?


I often feel like I'm joined at the hip to my iPhone. Not only do I love that little device, but I feel that it makes me more efficient and productive because there's just so many things you can do on it.  From reading books, surfing the net, getting directions, emailing, texting and oh yeah, calling, it's practically indispensable in my mile-a-minute life. However, even I recognize that it's routinely healthy and necessary to "unplug." Especially when newer and newer devices (read, iPad) threaten to take over what little free time we have.

Here are some questions to ask yourself to see if you’re controlling technology or if it’s controlling you:
  • Am I connected to the cell phone, computer, BlackBerry, iPhone, iPod, etc. 24/7?
  • Am I missing out on other things because I'm on the computer or smart phone?
  • Is "multitasking" with technology making me feel more stressed because it's always there?
Technology can be a wonderful tool if you are using it to serve you, but if it becomes your master you or your family are not going to be happy. I know firsthand how a little Facebooking, internet shopping and emailing in down-time can easily turn into a couple hours that are now lost forever. It might be a good idea to take some time to re-establish your priorities and see whether technology is enhancing or hindering you in achieving your goals.
  • What are your goals regarding work, health, children, spouse, home and self?
  • How would you list your greatest priority to lesser priorities?
  • What actions do you have to take in order to achieve each goal?
Technology can certainly make life simpler if you learn to use it wisely. Only you can decide what is truly important in your life.  But keep in mind that some of the most important connections you can make don’t require technology, like a hug, a walk in the park or a bed time story…

No comments: