Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating Earth Today and Every Day


We all know the tried and true mantra of "reduce, reuse, recycle" but how do each of us actually put it into practice? Carmela and I really do try to do so in both our personal lives and with Simplify.  For example, at Simplify, we offer green housecleaning services with natural non-toxic cleaners that are not harmful to our health or our environment and we go paperless as much as possible, emailing invoices and communications to clients and offering automatic credit card payment. We've even had beautiful reusable grocery bags made up (pictured above) that you can win today - see below for details!  

Green living is one of our principles and we blog frequently on the subject, including celebrating a green Halloween, green cleaning with natural alternatives and simple money-saving green tips

Personally, my family tries to recycle as much as possible and we use reusable bottles and containers, use natural cleaners and cleansing products and even recently have started using cloth napkins.  Now, every time I use a paper napkin or a paper towel, the phrase "these come from trees" pops into my head like a Pavlovian response!

However, I'm most impressed with my kids who know all the rules about turning lights off and shutting the water off when brushing their teeth.  They even get to lecturing me - the other day after my 6 year old daughter put the avocados in our fruit bowl, she told me we should reuse the mesh bag and proceeded to put her leftover plastic Easter eggs in it! 

How do you celebrate the Earth today and every day? Please share your tips with us - best comment today wins the snazzy Simplify reusable bag pictured above!  Happy Earth Day!

2 comments:

Alex Ontiveros said...

I think that you've taken most of the suggestions that I would have made however since I just attended the Solar Tech (Clean Energy) conference I suggest that people seriously look at solar panel installation for their commercial, rental and residential properties. And, in terms of a more real time tip, I recommend going paperless in your place of work. Personally, we are making a serious effort to go paperless at CET Staffing.

Caitlin Campbell said...

We try to conserve energy by unplugging appliances when we aren't using them. And I have reusable snack bags instead of plastic sandwich bags. It is almost too easy NOT to try to reduce waste. And I LOVE using my Simplify tote bags at the grocery store and get many compliments (and 5 cents off my bill for each one too!)