Monday, April 20, 2009

Are those leftovers "still tasty"?


My personal rule for the shelf life for leftovers is 4-5 days max. This goes for all foods - meat, fish, veggies. I'm also very diligent about following expiration dates. I guess you could call it a food poisoning paranoia, of sorts.

I recently discovered a very cool website - StillTasty - that tells you the shelf life of hundreds of different foods. You can search foods by category or name... For instance, do you still have boiled eggs leftover from Easter? Well, boiled eggs in their shell are good for 1-2 weeks, so they're still safe.

You can also browse their "questions answered" section for answers such as:

Is it Necessary to Rinse Raw Chicken Before Cooking It? (No)

I Left Pizza Out Overnight - Is It Still Safe to Eat? (No again)

Check it out and let me know what you think!

No comments: